The James Beard Foundation (JBF) is granting you the opportunity and is now accepting applications for its 2016 Women in Culinary Leadership Grant program.
The mentoring program was launched in 2012 for aspiring chefs and restauranteurs to help build in-depth leadership and management skills in the kitchen and in restaurant management and entrepreneurship. The class of 2016 has 22 open positions offered by 19 mentors.
Women with a background in hospitality or the culinary arts are encouraged to apply for a chance to participate across 15 six-month or seven twelve-month mentor/grantee programs with top industry leaders. The deadline to apply is Monday, February 8, 2016, and candidates will be expected to start their grant program by June 1, 2016.
The 2016 mentors include the following:
1. Kim Bartmann – Barbette, The Third Bird, Gigi’s Café, Pat’s Tap, Red Stag Supper Club, Tiny Diner, Minneapolis, MN: smallbusinessrevolution.org/
2. John Besh – Besh Restaurant Group, New Orleans: chefjohnbesh.com
3. Elizabeth Blau – Elizabeth Blau & Associates, Las Vegas: elizabethblau.com (offering two positions)
5. Kevin Boehm and Rob Katz – Boka Restaurant Group, Chicago: bokagrp.com (one year position)
6. Kevin Brown – LEYE, Chicago: leye.com
7. Lee Chizmar and Erin Shea – Bolete, Bethlehem, PA: boleterestaurant.com
8. Rohini Dey – Vermilion Restaurants, Chicago: thevermilionrestaurant.com (one year position)
9. Tom Douglas – Tom Douglas Restaurants, Seattle: tomdouglas.com (one year position)
10. Paul Fehribach – Big Jones, Chicago: bigjoneschicago.com
11. Sam Fox – Fox Restaurant Concepts, Phoenix: foxrc.com
12. Linton Hopkins – Restaurant Eugene, Atlanta: restauranteugene.com
13. Cindy Hutson – Ortanique Restaurants, Zest, and Zest MRKT, Miami: ortaniquerestaurants.com
14. Beth Gruitch and Jennifer Jasinski – Rioja, a Crafted Concept Restaurant, Denver: craftedconceptsdenver.com
15. Matt Jennings – Townsman, Boston: townsmanboston.com
16. Ti Adelaide Martin – Commander’s Palace, New Orleans: commanderspalace.com
17. Cindy Pawlcyn – Mustards Grill, Napa, CA: mustardsgrill.com
18. Sarah Robbins – 21c Museum Hotels: Metropole, Cincinnati, OH; Lockbox, Lexington, KY; Proof on Main, Louisville, KY: 21cmuseumhotels/restaurants.
19. Stephen Starr – STARR Restaurants, Philadelphia: starr-restaurant.com
Eight female chefs have received the Women in Culinary Leadership Grant to date, and of the six who graduated, all received job offers from their mentors.
Recipients have trained and worked in various positions, including the kitchen line, inventory, sourcing, cost control, new menu development, marketing and promotion, event planning, catering, floor management, and more.
Applicants must be at least 21 years of age, and have at least two years of experience in the hospitality industry. Deadline for submissions is February 8, 2016.
For more information about how to apply, please click here.